|Pennsylvania law has specific health requirements for students before they may attend school in the state. They are listed for you below.
Please Note: These immunization guidelines have been updated to reflect the new requirements effective for the 2017-2018 school year:
Immunizations (Shots/Vaccines) All Grades K-12:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria & acellular pertussis vaccine* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio vaccine (if 3rd dose was give on or after 4th birthday & at least 6 months after previous dose, 4th dose is not needed)
- 2 doses of measles, mumps & rubella vaccine**
- 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine
- 2 doses of varicella (chicken pox) vaccine OR evidence of immunity
*usually given as DTaP or DTP
**usually given as MMR
7th-12th Grade ADDITIONAL Immunization requirements for attendance:
- 1 dose tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine (Tdap) – Required upon entry into 7th grade
- 2 doses of meningitis vaccine (MCV4)- 1st dose given at 11-15 years of age & prior to entry into 7th grade; a 2nd dose is required at a minimum age of 16 or upon entry into 12th grade.
If only 1 dose was given but student was 16 years of age, or older, only 1 dose is required.
- Growth Screening: Height & Weight – done every year (K – 12)
- Vision Screening: Near & Far Vision – done every year (K – 12)
- 1st Graders: Convex Lens*, Depth Perception & Color Vision Tests
- Hearing Screening: Done in some grades (K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, & 11th)
- Scoliosis Screening: Checks for Spine Straightness – done in 6th & 7th
* Convex Lens test is the medical term for a specific vision test.
Physical & Dental Exams
- Physical Exam: Kindergarten or 1st grade, 6th grade, & 11th grade
- Dental Exam: Kindergarten or 1st grade, 3rd grade, & 7th grade
CLICK HERE FOR FORMS